Saturday 14 April 2007

Body Modification- Piercings

Personally, I only have my ears pierced- one piercing in each ear. I feel that this is ok and not really taking body modification to the extreme (unlike above pic- ouch!) perhaps that’s because ears are the most socially accepted part to have pierced in my country/culture. After the lecture, I realised that this may not be the case for everybody.
I may be hypocritical by saying the next thing I’m going to say as I have ear piercings but I think some things that were shown in the lecture and that I found on the internet
www.bodypiercingblog.com/entry/strange-piercing/ look really hideous and unnatural and I don’t understand why some people do it (for example having bolts put through the skull.)
The link below takes you to an interesting website where you can find discussions on the different opinions on this subject.


http://www.gostudents.net/site/c.ejINI5PNKpG/b.309429/k.A774/Body_Art_or_Damage.htm

1 comment:

Jess88 said...

Hiya. I found you post on body modification very interesting. I especially liked the links that you posted they were very insightful. I agree that opinions concerning body modification can be influenced by culture and background. I however also think it is a personal thing. I myself have three tattoos and seven piecings, but I haven't really been influenced by my culture. However, I do feel it may be my friends that have influenced me. So once again, I can't determine what is personal choice and what is influence.